In this article, we’ll provide you with 3 simple ways to zip files on your Windows. This article presents a brief overview of Windows built-in features to zip any files (movies, pictures and documents) and shows you two other third-party tools to that you can use to zip/unzip your files.
3 Simple Ways to Zip Files on your Windows:
Method 1: Use the Windows Built-in Feature:
The first way to Zip any type of files is through Windows built-in feature. In order to zip the file, simply:
- Navigate to the file or folder that you want to zip.
- Right-click with your mouse and select Compressed folder from the menu.
- Windows will now begin compressing your selected file. Wait till the Windows finished compressing the file. Once done. You’ll have your files zipped in the same location. Do notice that your file will now have a zipper icon on it. Similarly, if you want to unzip any file or folder – you can do that simply by right-clicking on the file and selecting Extract All from the options.
Method 2: Use the third-party WinZip Program for Windows:
- Launch WinZip from your start menu.
- Open the compressed file by clicking File > Open.
- If your system has the compressed file extension associated with WinZip program, just double-click on the file.
- Click “Unzip Selected File” and Choose the destination folder to save your unzip files. You can find your extracted files in the destination folder. In a similar manner, you can Zipped any file and attach it to your email program directly throught WinZip.
Method 3: Use the third-party 7-Zip Program for Windows/Linux/Unix:
7-Zip is one of the free available open source compression program compatible for Windows, Linux and Unix based system. Simple and easy to use, 7-Zip is extremely suitable for zipping/unzipping files on Linux and Unix System. Supporting wide variety of formats on all the 3 major Operating Systems, the 7-Zip provides the powerful command line as well as graphic window shell for ease of operations.
To install and zip the 7-Zip Program:
- Run 7-Zip File Manager in administrator mode.
- Right-click the icon of 7-Zip File Manager, and then click Run
- Then you can change file associations and some other options and select the require file to zip. For detail instructions, please refer to 7-Zip Support Page.
Whatever, the compression program you use to share your large-files with your colleague, friends and family members. These 3 great tools will always provide you the most efficient way to ZIP files on your system.