Restoring means copying certain files and settings from an old device to the new one. When you set up a new iOS device or to restore information on one you already have, your iCloud backup makes it easy.
Restoring is one of the best ways to make sure you don’t lose the information on your iOS device if it’s damaged or misplaced. It’s also useful to restore your purchase data if you get a new device and want to transfer your previous settings to it.
The following procedure provides you simple steps to restore or set up iOS devices from an iCloud backup:
To restore or set up an iCloud backup, you only need your iPhone and internet connection (WLAN). With iCloud, you have the advantage that you can activate an automatic backup in iOS.
Then your backup will update itself on a regular basis. This reduces the risk of missing data that you recently downloaded onto your iPhone.
Procedure to Restore from an iCloud backup:
- On your iOS device, go to Settings > General > Software Update.
- If a newer version of iOS is available, please follow the onscreen instructions, download and install it on your device.
- Now make sure, you have the recent backup to restore from.
- On iOS 11 or later: Go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Manage Storage > Backups.
- On iOS 10.3: Go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud. Tap the graph that shows your iCloud usage, then tap Manage Storage.
- On iOS 10.2 or earlier: Go to Settings > iCloud > Storage > Manage Storage.
- Go to Settings > General > Reset, then tap “Erase All Content and Settings.”
- On the Apps & Data screen, tap Restore from iCloud Backup, then sign in to iCloud.
- Final Step: Proceed to “Choose backup,” then choose from a list of available backups in iCloud.
Procedure to set up a new device from an iCloud backup
- Turn on your iOS device. Then, from the Apps & Data screen, tap Restore from iCloud Backup, then sign in to iCloud.
- Proceed to “Choose backup,” then choose from a list of available backups in iCloud.
After using an iCloud backup to restore or set up a device, your iOS device settings and accounts are restored from the iCloud backup you chose. Your device restarts and begins downloading your purchased music, movies, TV shows, apps, books, photos, and other content.
If you want to check if the information on your device is fully restored, go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Storage (or Settings > iCloud > Storage).
For more information, regarding messages that may appear while restoring information from an iCloud backup, see the Apple Support article:
- If you can’t back up to iCloud or restore from iCloud backup failed.
- You can also restore information on your iOS device from an iTunes backup instead of an iCloud backup. See the iTunes User Guide topic Back up your iOS device in iTunes on PC.
- Apple Support article: Use Quick Start